Rich Cassidy Law

Call Now For An Appointment (802) 864-8144

Rich Cassidy Law

How Much Insurance Coverage Do I Need?

  • By: Richard Cassidy
  • Published: May 21, 2018
The Minimum

By law, the owner of a motor vehicle operated on a Vermont highway must maintain at least minimum insurance coverage. The minimum is only $25,000 per person, $50,000 per occurrence (and $10,000 for property damage). Frankly, that just not enough insurance. Even a very minor accident can easily cause far more damage than $25,000 or even $50,000 can cover.

For example, I represented a young woman who was bumped by a car. She fell and hit her head on the pavement. She lost consciousness for a few seconds.

She was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. There she was seen by a doctor. Because she had a loss of consciousness, the Doctor ordered a CT scan of her brain. Test result: negative. She was treated and released from the ER. She also had a few bumps and bruises and missed a few days of work. She had a concussion, but it was a very minor one.

Her medical bills exceeded $10,000 and her settlement exceeded $30,000. If the driver who hit her had minimum coverage, he might have had to pay out of his pocket to settle the case.

Protect Your Assets

Liability insurance is intended to protect you from personal loss if you injure another person. You need more coverage to be safe.

If you don’t have enough coverage, and someone is seriously injured by your negligence, you put your personal assets at risk. You could lose your investments. Under certain circumstances, you might lose your home. For many years, a portion of your paycheck might disappear before you ever see it. You might even have to go bankrupt.

Recommended Coverage

I recommend that you buy at least $100,000/$300,000 coverage from a mutual insurance company and get a million dollar personal umbrella insurance policy. An umbrella policy is cheap. And as I will explain, you and your family might end up receiving the money to extent of any insurance coverage you buy.

If you have a personal injury claim, it is very important that you keep careful track of your recovery. Email us at or call (802) 864-8144 for your free Accident Recovery Journal. It’s yours for the asking without any obligation.

For more information on Need For Insurance Coverage In Vermont, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (802) 864-8144 today.

About the Author I have significant experience with litigation and alternative dispute
resolution involving higher education, public education, public safety,
health care, municipalities and manufacturing.

Rich Cassidy Law
Suite D5
(Pierson House)
1233 Shelburne Road
South Burlington, VT 05403

(802) 864-8144

Follow Us

Follow Us